[Gluster-devel] Need help with running bench test on Gluster cluster.

Menaka Mohan menaka.m at outlook.com
Tue Oct 11 19:53:09 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am Menaka M. I am interested in participating in this round of Outreachy under Gluster. I am new to this open source world. Kindly help me with the following query.

I have set up the Gluster development environment with two servers and one client. I am trying to run the basic bench test on the Gluster cluster from this GitHub repo<https://github.com/gluster/gbench/tree/master/bench-tests/bt-0000-0001>. I also have IOZone installed. While trying to run the provided script, i get the following error. I was trying to identify the cause of the error. Kindly help me with that.

So, I learned more about IOZone and also the performance testing section in the Gluster docs. With that knowledge and to learn more, I have gone through the code and running iozone commands mentioned in the GlusterBench.py script individually.

If I am asking a very basic thing, apologies. I will quickly learn things.

Regards,
Menaka M

python GlusterBench.py -s 64 -f 10000 -n 5 -v

Number threads = 4
Client list = HadoopSlave4

Running IOZone with 64KB record size and 4 threads,  Creating an 8 GB file with every thread.
Running smallfile with 64KB files, creating 10000 files.
Running squential IOZone tests, starting with sequential writes.

About to gather sample --> 0

    Iozone: Performance Test of File I/O
            Version $Revision: 3.429 $
        Compiled for 64 bit mode.
        Build: linux-AMD64

    Contributors:William Norcott, Don Capps, Isom Crawford, Kirby Collins
                 Al Slater, Scott Rhine, Mike Wisner, Ken Goss
                 Steve Landherr, Brad Smith, Mark Kelly, Dr. Alain CYR,
                 Randy Dunlap, Mark Montague, Dan Million, Gavin Brebner,
                 Jean-Marc Zucconi, Jeff Blomberg, Benny Halevy, Dave Boone,

Adding the current sample to the list: None
Dropping cache
/root/sync-drop-caches.sh: 13: /root/sync-drop-caches.sh: Bad substitution
Cleaning up files.

About to gather sample --> 1

    /* I removed the Iozone and Contributors header */

Adding the current sample to the list: None
Dropping cache
/root/sync-drop-caches.sh: 13: /root/sync-drop-caches.sh: Bad substitution
Cleaning up files.

About to gather sample --> 2

Adding the current sample to the list: None
Dropping cache
/root/sync-drop-caches.sh: 13: /root/sync-drop-caches.sh: Bad substitution
Cleaning up files.

About to gather sample --> 3

Adding the current sample to the list: None
Dropping cache
/root/sync-drop-caches.sh: 13: /root/sync-drop-caches.sh: Bad substitution
Cleaning up files.

About to gather sample --> 4

Adding the current sample to the list: None
Dropping cache
/root/sync-drop-caches.sh: 13: /root/sync-drop-caches.sh: Bad substitution
No cleanup on 4 iteration.

The results for sequential writes are: [None, None, None, None, None]

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "GlusterBench.py", line 255, in <module>
    main()
  File "GlusterBench.py", line 76, in main
    average_seq_write = find_average(result1)
  File "GlusterBench.py", line 250, in find_average
    total = total + int(samples_in[x])
TypeError: int() argument must be a string or a number, not 'NoneType'