[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Please pause merging patches to 3.9 waiting for just one patch

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 16:56:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:44:21AM -0500, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> 3.9 is a STM release as per [1].
> >

> > Sorry, I meant STM.
> >

> >> Irrespective of a release being LTM or not, being able to upgrade to a
> >> release without operational disruptions is a requirement.
> >

> > I would say upgrade to an STM *maybe* painful, as it is an STM and hence may
> > contain changes that are yet to be announced stable or changed workflows
> > that are not easy to upgrade to. We do need to document them though, even
> > for the STM.
> >
> > Along these lines, the next LTM should be as stated, i.e "without
> > operational disruptions". The STM is for adventurous folks, no?
> >

> In my view STM releases for getting new features out early. This would
> enable early adopters to try and provide feedback about new features.
> Existing features and upgrades should work smoothly. IOW, we do not
> want to have known regressions for existing features in STM releases.
> New features might have rough edges and this should be amply
> advertised.

I do not think users on 3.6 are the right consumers for a STM release.
These users are conservative and did not ugrade earlier. I doubt they
are interested in new features *now*. Users that did not upgrade before,
are unlikely the users that will upgrade in three months when 3.9 is
EOL.

> In this specific case, quota has not undergone any significant changes
> in 3.9 and letting such a relatively unchanged feature affect users
> upgrading from 3.6 does not seem right to me. Also note that since
> LATEST in d.g.o would point to 3.9.0 after the release, users
> performing package upgrades on their systems could end up with 3.9.0
> inadvertently.

The packages from the CentOS Storage SIG will by default provide the
latest LTM release. The STM release is provided in addition, and needs
an extra step to enable.

I am not sure how we can handle this in other distributions (or also
with the packages on d.g.o.).

Niels