[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-Maintainers] Please pause merging patches to 3.9 waiting for just one patch

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Thu Nov 10 14:13:21 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri <
pkarampu at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Atin Mukherjee <amukherj at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri <
>> pkarampu at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to understand the criticality of these patches.
>>> Raghavendra's patch is crucial because gfapi workloads(for samba and qemu)
>>> are affected severely. I waited for Krutika's patch because VM usecase can
>>> lead to disk corruption on replace-brick. If you could let us know the
>>> criticality and we are in agreement that they are this severe, we can
>>> definitely take them in. Otherwise next release is better IMO. Thoughts?
>>>

>> If you are asking about how critical they are, then the first two are
>> definitely not but third one is actually a critical one as if user upgrades
>> from 3.6 to latest with quota enable, further peer probes get rejected and
>> the only work around is to disable quota and re-enable it back.
>>

> Let me take Raghavendra G's input also here.
>
> Raghavendra, what do you think we should do? Merge it or live with it till
> 3.9.1?

The commit says quota.conf is rewritten to compatible version during three
operations:
1. enable/disable quota
2. limit usage
3. remove quota limit

I checked the code and it works as stated in commit msg. Probably we can
list the above three operations as work around and take this patch in for
3.9.1

>> On a different note, 3.9 head is not static and moving forward. So if you
>> are really looking at only critical patches need to go in, that's not
>> happening, just a word of caution!

>>> --
>>> Pranith
>>>

>> --