[Gluster-devel] Glusto Status Update

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Thu Nov 10 11:52:02 UTC 2016

Hello folks,

Shwetha and I have gotten far enough to get the Glusto tests to pass for Fuse
mounts, NFS, and Samba. Well the fix for Samba isn't in yet, but we know what
we need to do. Thanks to help from Kaushal, Shyam, Nithya, Jiffin, and
Raghavendra Talur.

Shwetha is also working on documentation for the libraries so we can write
tests for 3.10. At this point, it we need to figure out how to leverage Glusto.

Here's what I think we should do:
* We already produce nightly builds on Centos CI. We're going to be running
  tests against these nightly builds with Glusto.

* After the tests pass, let's sign the packages, and copy them to
  downloads.gluster.org. This means we will have tested nightly builds.

* In the future, when we want to run test days, we should be running it against
  packages that have been tested with automation.

* Pranith, I remember, worked on check lists for this release. Now would be the
  time for component owners to figure out which of those check list items can
  be converted to automated tests by 3.10. What can make your life easier if
  you wrote automated tests for it?

* From this release's test day, if you can think of something that would be
  useful to automate, that's also useful.

If you're excited to start writing tests and are stuck, here are the people to contact:
* Glusto - Jonathan.
* Glustolibs-gluster and glustolibs-io - Shwetha, Arty, and Apeksha.
* Issues with the tests results on Centos CI or test setup - Nigel.

Things we know are bad and needs to improve:
* Documentation for libraries. Shwetha and Jonathan are already working on
  this. As a workaround, I recommend reading the glustolibs-gluster and
  glustolibs-io code. The code itself is well documented.
* It doesn't actually pass yet. Yes, we know. Almost all the problems have been
  identified. We're working on reviewing the code and landing it.

If you have questions or concerns, please let us know on this thread.

--
nigelb