[Gluster-devel] Memory usage behavior for nested directories

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Thu May 26 19:29:50 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Kremmyda, Olympia (Nokia -
GR/Athens) <olympia.kremmyda at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Gluster 3.6.9 in one replicated volume (named “log”), with two
> bricks.
> Our tests include Nested Directory Creation operations (Creation from 1000
> up to 250000 Directory Trees) with 396 depth and no deletion is performed.
>
> We have observed the following memory usage statistics shown in the images:
>         https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1162032
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1162033
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1162034
> (statedumps are in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1162035 )
>
> and we would like your opinion if this memory usage is normal for glusterfs.
> Also after our tests, we delete these directories and the memory is not
> released.
> Can you describe us the expected memory behaviour in these cases?

The behavior does not look right to me. Do you happen to have small
files also in this directory tree structure? I can see that quick-read
is consuming some memory for its cache from the statedump. FWIW I have
been running directory creation / deletion tests with 3.8rc2 and do
not see any steady increase in RSS.

Regards,
Vijay