[Gluster-devel] [gluster-devel] Reviewing Rackspace Use

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed May 18 10:13:42 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:37:43AM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le mercredi 18 mai 2016 à 09:53 +0200, Niels de Vos a écrit :

> > > All the CI machines could be made on-demand. All are based on ready
> > > images, so we should be able to spin up a VM on demand.
> >
> > Or, even by only starting the VMs when needed, and shutting down when
> > done. Either way, we need a plugin for creating or starting the VMs on
> > demand. This is something we looked into before, but never had enough
> > time to test and finish it:
> >
> >   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.gluster.infra/156
> >   https://github.com/gluster/jenkins-ssh-slaves-plugin/tree/Before-connect-script-for-gluster-jenkins
>
> I did ask to a friend for the jclouds plugin and he was saying that the
> stable version is buggy as hell, so we would need a devel snapshot. It
> didn't inspire a huge confidence.
>
> But now that the automated install is working well (after the last few
> bugs fixes around, like the xfsprogs issue found by ndevos, the python
> dir issue finally fixed, etc), that's the next step.

That could work too, but new slave installations need to get added to
the Jenkins master. Booting and poweroff prevents that step. But.
whatever works :-)

> > > The only reason I can think of for having them constantly running is
> > > to serve the archived logs and builds.
> > > There have been some (some) discussions of having an artifact server
> > > which could host these archives.
> > > Jenkins (AIU) already has support for capturing build artifacts and
> > > uploading them to a server.
> >
> > Indeed, Jenkins jobs can collect files after a run. We do that for the
> > rpmbuild jobs (QA requested that so they can test the RPMs, no idea if
> > it is used by anyone):
> >
> >   https://build.gluster.org/job/glusterfs-devrpms-el7/lastSuccessfulBuild/
> >
> > Capturing the logs and all by Jenkins would be nice. Hopefully we can
> > place those on a Gluster volume and use our own software for storage :)
>
> Then we would need a rather huge disk, no ?

Not sure how big that data gets. But I guess those logs can be removed
after a week or such anyway. It would be nice to have all files on a
Gluster volume (provided by a few VMs?) and maybe also place the
contents for download.gluster.org on there... Not really urgent, but it
is one of the use-cases we can then promote. Maybe we can have a service
like gdash to show the community?

Niels