[Gluster-devel] Reducing the size of the glusterdocs git repository

Prashanth Pai ppai at redhat.com
Thu May 12 06:56:52 UTC 2016

> > Right now, even cloning the main docs branch is a huge pain due to the size
> > of the repo.
> > I think that branching will solve not this problem, and might make the
> > problem worse.
>
> Branching would not increase the size of the repository itself. Only the
> size used on RTD will be bigger as the HTML for different branches will
> be generated (so contents is there 2x). Cloning the repository is not
> affected.
>
> Deleting files (like the presentations) will also not remove them from
> the git repository. It will stay possible to checkout an older version
> of the docs from the same repository, all of the history is downloaded
> once the repository is cloned.
>
> In order to reduce the size of the repository, you need to create a new
> one, and import the changes without the big files. While importing
> changes from an other (the current) repository, it is possible to modify
> the changes on the fly and prevent importing the big files. This keeps
> the history and the credits for the contributors.

This is an alternative solution:
https://rtyley.github.io/bfg-repo-cleaner/

> Where would you suggest the presentations (and other files?) should get
> located?

May be an official Gluster community slideshare or speakerdeck account ?

Git LFS is also also an option but we don't really need versioning for
presentation files. Git LFS will keep large files in a separate location
and keep a "pointer" to those in the repo.

Regards,
 -Prashanth Pai