[Gluster-devel] [release-3.8] Need update on the status of "Versioned Documentation"

Amye Scavarda amye at redhat.com
Thu May 12 04:36:16 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Prashanth Pai <ppai at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Hi guys,
> >
> > could you reply to this email with a status update of "Versioned
> > Documentation" that is listed on the roadmap?
> >
> >   https://www.gluster.org/community/roadmap/3.8/
> >
> > It is unclear to me how we are adressing the documentation for different
> > versions. If there is no progress on this feature, we'll need to move it
> > out to 3.9/4.0.
>
> RTD supports rendering doc from different git repo branches. Till date, we
> haven't received any PR for 3.8 specific feature documentation. I suggest
> we
> consider branching out when that happens. There are many features in 3.8
> that are internal to GlusterFS which does not change much of user facing
> behavior. Branching out right now will be cumbersome for contributors as
> they
> have to send PRs to multiple branches on github.

Amy, Humble: What do you guys think ?

Right now, even cloning the main docs branch is a huge pain due to the size
of the repo.
I think that branching will solve not this problem, and might make the
problem worse.

Instead, and I offer this with hesitation, we can start an etherpad as a
working doc for the specific 3.8 features that do change user behavior --
but we'll also need to know what features those are.
As that's complete, we can commit that back into the RTD repo and link it
in the release notes.
It's not ideal, I admit.

Humble?
-- amye