[Gluster-devel] Hello and pull requests

Amye Scavarda amye at redhat.com
Tue May 3 16:54:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 5:43 AM, Nigel Babu <nigelb at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I've just started this week at Red Hat. Over the next year or so, I'll be
> helping with cleaning up the existing CI pipeline and improving it so that
> we have much better confidence with releases.

Welcome!

> Amy has been helping me get an overview of the infrastructure we have and
> we decided to put this on readthedocs under Ops Guide[1], considering we'd
> like to be open about our infra. While writing this, I also noticed there
> were quite a few warnings from mkdocs about dead links. I've taken a few
> minutes to fix them up as well[2]. If anyone has a few minutes, I'd be
> extremely grateful if you could merge them both.

I'm really delighted to see this, it's something that will help us improve
our infrastructure and make it more sustainable over time. Community
engagement always welcome on this.

> Additionally, I notice that we have presentations on the docs git repo,
> which makes it burst up in size to 145 MB. This makes for a unpleasant
> experience cloning the repo. If we don't clone the repo, we're less likely
> to see the warnings from mkdocs about deadlinks and might also turn away
> potential contributors. If possible, I'd like to propose that the
> presentations be hosted elsewhere and be linked from the documentation site
> (without breaking existing URLs). I'm also happy to host it on a separate
> git repo that is exclusively used for presentations. Does anyone have any
> strong opinions on the matter?

One note: we do have slideshare channels and youtube to host presentations
and videos, I am more than happy to help move things across, and we can put
links in RTD, the main gluster.org site and the blog to get more exposure.

I'm in favor of at least moving things away from the docs repo to make it
more usable to contribute to.
- amye

[1]: https://github.com/gluster/glusterdocs/pull/107

Amye Scavarda | amye at redhat.com | Gluster Community Lead