[Gluster-devel] Worm translator not truly disabled by default?

Karthik Subrahmanya ksubrahm at redhat.com
Tue May 3 11:40:24 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----

This is because of the new feature called "file level worm" which is introduced in the worm
translator. This will allow to make individual files as worm/retained by setting the volume
option "worm-file-level". The files which are created when this option is enabled will have
an xattr called "trusted.worm_file". This is implemented because unlike read-only or volume
level worm where if the option on the volume is disabled, the entire translator will get
disabled and you can perform any FOP on the files in that volume. But here if a file is once
marked as worm-retained, it should not revert back to the normal state where we can change
its contents even if the worm-file-level option is reset/disabled. So the xattr is set on the
file and every time when a write, link, unlink, rename, or truncate fop comes it checks for
the xattr.
Hope it helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik