[Gluster-devel] REMINDER: backports now *also* need to got to the release-3.8 branch

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon May 2 09:55:47 UTC 2016

After the recent branching of GlusterFS 3.8 [1], I would like to remind
everyone about our backporting guidelines.

In order to prevent upgrading users from running into issues that have
been fixed in previous releases, we need all backports that go into
release-3.5, release-3.6 and release-3.7 to also get included in the new
release-3.8 branch.

To check if a patch is already included in release-3.8, you can use a
command like this:

  $ git branch -r --contains 65dfbc4fd1c2ebd0189c52673b17b416d4c4d37a
    origin/HEAD -> origin/master
    origin/master
    origin/release-3.8

  $ git branch -r --contains 232b10d68f47eee4c58f0d44891e52026b98d288
    origin/HEAD -> origin/master
    origin/master

When our documented backporting guidelines [2] are used for doing
backports, the Change-Id that Gerrit adds is kept in the commit message.
This helps tracking down what backports have been send already, one only
needs to click the I<hash> like this example [3]. Using the
[cherry-pick] button in Gerrit does not do this, and it is more work to
do your local testing (RIGHT?!) of the cherry-pick when using that
button too.

Thanks,
Niels

1. http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-May/049330.html