[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Impact of force option in remove-brick

Gaurav Garg ggarg at redhat.com
Tue Mar 22 06:44:59 UTC 2016

>> I just want to know what is the difference in the following scenario:

1. remove-brick without the force option
2. remove-brick with the force option

remove-brick without force option will perform task based on your option,
for eg. remove-brick start option will start migration of file from given
remove-brick to other available bricks in the cluster. you can check status
of this remove-brick task by issuing remove-brick status command.

But remove-brick with force option will just forcefully remove brick from the cluster.
It will result in data loss in case of distributed volume, because it will not migrate file
from given remove-brick to other available bricks in the cluster. In case of replicate volume
you might not have problem by doing remove-brick force because later on after adding brick you
can issue heal command and migrate file from first replica set to this newly added brick.

Thanks,

~Gaurav