[Gluster-devel] On backporting fixes

Atin Mukherjee atin.mukherjee83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:38:44 UTC 2016

-Atin
Sent from one plus one

branch and posted a patch at http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13683/ .

>> > This is failing for ./tests/bugs/distribute/bug-860663.t test :
>> > [10:39:11] Running tests in file ./tests/bugs/distribute/bug-860663.t
>> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
>> > ./tests/bugs/distribute/bug-860663.t ..
>> > 1..15
>> > ok 1, LINENUM:23
>> > ok 2, LINENUM:24
>> > ok 3, LINENUM:26
>> > ok 4, LINENUM:27
>> > ok 5, LINENUM:30
>> > ok 6, LINENUM:32
>> > ok 7, LINENUM:35
>> > not ok 8 , LINENUM:40
>> > FAILED COMMAND: ! gluster --mode=script --wignore volume rebalance
patchy fix-layout start
>> > ok 9, LINENUM:42
>> > ok 10, LINENUM:43
>> > ok 11, LINENUM:45
>> > ok 12, LINENUM:47
>> > ok 13, LINENUM:50
>> > ok 14, LINENUM:51
>> > ok 15, LINENUM:55
>> > Failed 1/15 subtests
>> >
>> > Given that it is a simple rebalance command that is failing I am
assuming that a critical patch has not been back ported to 3.7, correct me
if I am wrong.

>> > I request every developer to take responsibility of back porting
patches.

>> > Corollary question: Our test-framework is now capable of disabling
tests for certain OS, certain branch etc. I would like to propose that we
stop having tests in main git repo. This will remove need to back port test
only fixes.
>> Where are you going to host these .t files then?
>

> Proposal was a separate git repo for tests. It seems very unlikely to
maintain it separately though.
> Basically what I am looking for is making tests/ dir independent of git
branch but still part of the git repo.
-1, tests can't be independent. You may see a test passing in one branch
but failing in other where there is no delta on the test file but some
other code changes cause this behaviour change. If developers can be
proactive on sending the complete backports I don't see any issue in having
the tests in the repo itself.