[Gluster-devel] Added specs for filesnapshots based on reflinks

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 10:25:52 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 04:00:12AM -0400, Prasanna Kumar Kalever wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding existing file snapshot:
> --------------------------------
> Currently we have qemu-block xlator which helps in creating a file based snapshots,
> the biggest limitation about this feature is that, it allows creation of snapshots
> only for qcow2 file types (QEMU specific).
>
> what about other VM image formats (say VMDK, VDI ...)?
> what about general file formats (txt, docx, md ... another 10000)?
>

> Improvement:
> ------------
> Suggested a feature that allows you to take a snapshot on any kind of file with the
> help of reflinks.
>
> Here is the link to specs page (which also has a POC);
> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-specs/compare/master...pkalever:master
>
> I need all of your blessings to move this into action.

We do not use GitHub pull requests for the glusterfs-specs repository.
See the main README for sending your change to Gerrit.

I've left some comments in the GitHub patch. It's tricky to find where
the comments are, but I think this link should do it:

  https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-specs/commit/eb00fae40686bf5693242f389bbd9d0b7e0baede#diff-189cd0b816a5a125cfaccf7434dd6d57R46

Thanks,
Niels