[Gluster-devel] [IMPORTANT] Release planning for GlusterFS 3.8, schedule, deadlines and all

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 16:17:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 08:44:06PM +0530, Atin Mukherjee wrote:
> -Atin
> Sent from one plus one
> On 14-Mar-2016 6:45 pm, "Niels de Vos" <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:

> planned
> months
> this

> convince
> > > Is this applicable for all Gluster 4.0 initiatives as well? Since all of
> > > these will come as experimental features as part of 3.8 does feature
> > > freeze criteria apply for them?
> >
> > Yes, anything that is expected to be ready for experimental use should
> > fulfill all requirements. Gluster 4.0 features in 3.8 would need to be
> > usable and configurable by most of our users. Experimental features may
> > become fully stable and 'supported' during the 3.8 lifecycle.
> Given the experimental nature of 4.0 features, I was wondering how do we
> define the scope of readiness. Usable is the right term and none of these
> features should break legacy stuffs. I am little doubtful about the word
> "stable". Can stable and experimental go together? (Very few IMO)
> Let me know if you think otherwise.

"Stable" for me means that users should be able to configure and use it
with basic Gluster functionality and it does not break under moderate
workloads. Performance might be bad, or it may not work with all types
of volumes. The way to configure it should not heavily change in the
3.8.x lifetime. It also should be seen as a commitment to our users to
maintain the feature for the whole 3.8.x life, even when the next
release is ready in 6 months.

For most of the Gluster 4.0 features, I do not expect to see them as
part of glusterfs-3.8, not even as experimental. For being in the
experimental category, a feature needs to have a pretty complete
implementation, documentation and tests.

Features that are listed on the roadmap really need to show good
progress, otherwise they'll get marked as "at risk" and will be moved
out to the next release if the status does not change. This includes
removal of xlators, components and other bits from the sources
immediately after branching 3.8.

HTH,
Niels