[Gluster-devel] [IMPORTANT] Release planning for GlusterFS 3.8, schedule, deadlines and all

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 13:15:32 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 05:54:00PM +0530, Atin Mukherjee wrote:

> On 03/14/2016 02:49 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're kicking the 3.8 release back into shape and schedule. Our planned
> > 6 month release cycle has completely failed on us, we're about 6 months
> > behind. I've taken the liberty to set aggressive deadlines and put this
> > on the roadmap on https://www.gluster.org/community/roadmap/3.8/ .
> >
> > The page explains the dates, it will be extremely difficult to convince
> > me to change it. A delay because a feature is not ready will not be
> > acceptable, the feature will be moved out into the next (major/minor)
> > release.
> Is this applicable for all Gluster 4.0 initiatives as well? Since all of
> these will come as experimental features as part of 3.8 does feature
> freeze criteria apply for them?

Yes, anything that is expected to be ready for experimental use should
fulfill all requirements. Gluster 4.0 features in 3.8 would need to be
usable and configurable by most of our users. Experimental features may
become fully stable and 'supported' during the 3.8 lifecycle.

Features that are not in a usable or stable state, or do not provide any
of the other requirements will be stripped out of the 3.8 release.

HTH,
Niels