[Gluster-devel] sub-directory geo-replication, snapshot features

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:05:05 UTC 2016

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2016 02:25 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
>>

>> On 03/09/2016 10:40 AM, Kaushal M wrote:

>>> We use hardlinks to the `.glusterfs` directory on bricks. So wouldn't
>>> having multiple filesystems inside a brick break the brick?
>>

>> You are right. I think we will have to do full separation, where it will
>> be more like multiple tenants :-/.
>

> Ah! I had a half baked response to this yesterday, asking if subdirs were
> their own FS instances and LVM instances etc. looks like that was the case.
>
> Anyway, apart form the .glusterfs this idea merits some thinking, like a
> virtual volume that chains up separate mounts on the local FS, consider it a
> virtual namespace that links subvolumes together. So that we do not need to
> create separate volumes and have that heavy weight process in place, at the
> same time provide snapshots as well.

If we are thinking about subdirs as virtual volumes and want to avoid
a process per volume, why not just consider brick-multiplexing and
proper full fledged volumes.
We already have multiplexing on the agenda for 4.0, and it would seem
easier to just leverage the facilities provided by that to get similar
behavior, instead of attempting to add-in sub-directory support for
all sort of operations/features.

One of the benefits of supporting sub directory mounts is that it
would make it easier to create and manage multiple shares for many
tenants. Trying to re-implement all volume operations for
sub-directories only makes it harder for us and makes the solution
really complex.