[Gluster-devel] Using geo-replication as backup solution using gluster volume snapshot!

Kotresh Hiremath Ravishankar khiremat at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 09:33:08 UTC 2016

Hi All,

Here is the idea, we can use geo-replication as backup solution using gluster volume
snapshots on slave side. One of the drawbacks of geo-replication is that it's a
continuous asynchronous replication and would not help in getting the last week's or
yesterday's data. So if we use gluster snapshots at the slave end, we can use the
snapshots to get the last week's or yesterday's data making it a candidate for a
backup solution. The limitation is that the snapshots at the slave end can't be
restored as it will break the running geo-replication. It could be mounted and
we have access to data when the snapshots are taken. It's just a naive idea.
Any suggestions and use cases are worth discussing:)

Thanks and Regards,
Kotresh H R