[Gluster-devel] Default quorum for 2 way replication

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Sat Mar 5 10:26:31 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 08:36 PM, Shyam wrote:
> On 03/04/2016 07:30 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
>>

>> On 03/04/2016 05:47 PM, Bipin Kunal wrote:
>>> HI Pranith,
>>>
>>> Thanks for starting this mail thread.
>>>
>>> Looking from a user perspective most important is to get a "good copy"
>>> of data.  I agree that people use replication for HA but having stale
>>> data with HA will not have any value.
>>> So I will suggest to make auto quorum as default configuration even
>>> for 2-way replication.
>>>
>>> If user is willing to lose data at the cost of HA, he always have
>>> option disable it. But default preference should be data and its
>>> integrity.
>
> I think we need to consider *maintenance* activities on the volume,
> like replacing a brick in a replica pair, or upgrading one half of the
> replica and then the other, at which time the replica group would
> function read-only, if we choose 'auto' in a 2-way replicated state,
> is this correct?

Yes.

> Having said the above, we already have the option in place, right? I.e
> admins can already choose 'auto', it is just the default that we are
> discussing. This could also be tackled via documentation/best
> practices ("yeah right! who reads those again?" is a valid comment here).

Yes. I just sent a reply to Jeff, where I told it is better to have
interactive question at the time of creating 2-way replica volume which
gives this information :-).

> I guess we need to be clear (in documentation or otherwise) what they
> get when they choose one over the other (like the HA point below and
> also upgrade concerns etc.), irrespective of how this discussion ends
> (just my 2 c's).

Totally agree. We will give an interactive question above, a link which
gives detailed explanation.

>> That is the point. There is an illusion of choice between Data integrity
>> and HA. But we are not *really* giving HA, are we? HA will be there only
>> if second brick in the replica pair goes down. In your typical
>
> @Pranith, can you elaborate on this? I am not so AFR savvy, so unable
> to comprehend why HA is available if only when the second brick goes
> down and is not when the first does. Just helps in understanding the
> issue at hand.

Because it is client side replication there is a fixed *leader* i.e. 1st
brick.

As a side note. We recently had a discussion with NSR team (Jeff, avra).
We will be using some infra for NSR to implement server side afr as well
with leader election etc.

Pranith