[Gluster-devel] Default quorum for 2 way replication

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 12:13:12 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 05:26 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
> hi,
>      So far default quorum for 2-way replication is 'none' (i.e.
> files/directories may go into split-brain) and for 3-way replication
> and arbiter based replication it is 'auto' (files/directories won't go
> into split-brain). There are requests to make default as 'auto' for
> 2-way replication as well. The line of reasoning is that people value
> data integrity (files not going into split-brain) more than HA
> (operation of mount even when bricks go down). And admins should
> explicitly change it to 'none' when they are fine with split-brains in
> 2-way replication. We were wondering if you have any inputs about what
> is a sane default for 2-way replication.
>
> I like the default to be 'none'. Reason: If we have 'auto' as quorum
> for 2-way replication and first brick dies, there is no HA.

+1.  Quorum does not make sense when there are only 2 parties. There is
no majority voting. Arbiter volumes are a better option.
If someone wants some background, please see 'Client quorum' and
'Replica 2 and Replica 3 volumes' section of
http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/arbiter-volumes-and-quorum/

-Ravi