[Gluster-devel] Random voting in Gerrit - Check votes before merging

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 09:08:46 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Kaushal M <kshlmster at gmail.com> wrote:
> A heads up to all maintainers and developers.
>
> As all of you probably already know, reviews in Gerrit are getting
> random votes for jobs that ran for other patchsets.
>
> We've had people noticing these votes only when they've been negative.
> But these votes can be positive as well (I've got an example in the
> forwarded mail below).
>
> Maintainers need to be make sure that any positive vote given to a
> review is correct and for a job that ran for the particular review,
> before merging it.
>
> To make sure that changes that have been given such a bogus vote don't
> get merged, any developer finding such a vote, can give a Verified-1
> to the review to block it from merging. I've changed the Verified flag
> so that a Verified-1 blocks a review from being merged. I'll remove
> this change after we figure out what's happening.
>
> I'll be posting updates to the infra-list to the mail-thread I've
> forwarded below.

This (and the random build failures) should be fixed now.

There should no longer be any random votes/comments. Anyone who's had
incorrect votes, please re-trigger the jobs.

I'll leave the Verified-1 configuration around, as a way to block
changes being merged in the future, if similar situations occur.

~kaushal

PS: For anyone curious about what happened (tl;dr: zombie-jenkins),
please refer to the thread
'Investigating random votes in Gerrit' in the gluster-infra list.