[Gluster-devel] What tranpsort type in glfs_set_volfile_server() exactly mean ?

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Mon Jul 25 08:59:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Raghavendra Talur <rtalur at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Prasanna Kalever <pkalever at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey Team,
>>

>> My understanding is that @transport argumet in
>> glfs_set_volfile_server() is meant for specifying transport used in
>> fetching volfile server,
>>

> Yes, @transport arg here is transport to use for fetching volfile.
>

>> IIRC which currently supports tcp and unix only...
>>
> Yes, this is correct too.
>

>> The doc here
>> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/api/src/glfs.h
>> +166 shows the rdma as well, which is something I cannot digest.
>>
> This is doc written with assumption that rdma would work too.
>

>> Can someone correct me ?
>>
>> Have we ever supported volfile fetch over rdma ?
>>

> I think no. To test, you would have to set rdma as only transport option
> in glusterd.vol and see what happens in volfile fetch.
>

> IMO, fetching volfile over rdma is an overkill and would not be required.
> RDMA should be kept only for IO operations.

+1. Actually there is no point in having infiniband to fetch volfile as
* RDMA/infiniband is useful for large data transfer
* Even when using RDMA/infiniband, we use a tcp/ip socket for initial
handshake (specifically an IPoIB stack) - RDMA connection manager
(librdmacm). So, a tcp/ip based address or pathway is necessary even while
using RDMA.

So, its a overkill to use RDMA for fetching volfiles.

> We should just remove it from the docs.
>
> Thanks,
> Raghavendra Talur
>

>> Thanks,