[Gluster-devel] GF_PARENT_DOWN on SIGKILL

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 13:37:29 UTC 2016

> Gah! sorry sorry, I meant to send the mail as SIGTERM. Not SIGKILL. So xavi
> and I were wondering why cleanup_and_exit() is not sending GF_PARENT_DOWN
> event.

OK, then that grinding sound you hear is my brain shifting gears.  ;)  It
seems that cleanup_and_exit will call xlator.fini in some few cases, but
it doesn't do anything that would send notify events.  I'll bet the answer
to "why" is just that nobody thought of it or got around to it.  The next
question I'd ask is: can you do what you need to do from ec.fini instead?
That would require enabling it in should_call_fini as well, but otherwise
seems pretty straightforward.

If the answer to that question is no, then things get more complicated.
Can we do one loop that sends GF_EVENT_PARENT_DOWN events, then another
that calls fini?  Can we just do a basic list traversal (as we do now for
fini) or do we need to do something more complicated to deal with cluster
translators?  I think a separate loop doing basic list traversal would
work, even with brick multiplexing, so it's probably worth just coding it
up as an experiment.