[Gluster-devel] Reducing merge conflicts

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Fri Jul 15 05:20:06 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:

> > The feedback I got is, "it is not motivating to review patches that are
> > already merged by maintainer."
>
> I can totally understand that.  I've been pretty active reviewing lately,
> and it's an *awful* demotivating grind.  On the other hand, it's also
> pretty demotivating to see one's own hard work "rot" as the lack of
> reviews forces rebase after rebase.  Haven't we all seen that?  I'm
> sure the magnitude of that effect varies across teams and across parts
> of the code, but I'm equally sure that it affects all of us to some
> degree.
>

> > Do you suggest they should change that
> > behaviour in that case?
>
> Maybe.  The fact is that all of our maintainers have plenty of other
> responsibilities, and not all of them prioritize the same way.  I know I
> wouldn't be reviewing so many patches myself otherwise.  If reviews are
> being missed under the current rules, maybe we do need new rules.
>
> > let us give equal recognition for:
> > patches sent
> > patches reviewed - this one is missing.
> > helping users on gluster-users
> > helping users on #gluster/#gluster-dev
> >
> > Feel free to add anything more I might have missed out. May be new
> > ideas/design/big-refactor?
>
> Also doc, infrastructure work, blog/meetup/conference outreach, etc.

Bug triage (more generally collecting information from field on how things
are working, what we are lacking)
Testing
Performance measurements
Futuristic thinking (new features, rewrites etc)
Channelizing our collective brain-power and prioritization of things to
work on (roadmap etc)
Handling competition (Defence/Constructive arguments etc).

I know all of this are not easy to measure (and may be out of scope of this
discussion). But, it doesn't hurt to list things needed to make a
project/product successful.

> > let people do what they like more among these and let us also recognize
> them
> > for all their contributions. Let us celebrate their work in each monthly
> > news letter.
>
> Good idea.

Raghavendra G