[Gluster-devel] 答复: Re: Gluster AFR volume write performance has been seriously affected by GLUSTERFS_WRITE_IS_APPEND in afr_writev

li.ping288 at zte.com.cn li.ping288 at zte.com.cn
Fri Jan 29 08:55:12 UTC 2016

LiPing10168633/user/zte_ltd 写于 2016/01/28 21:40:30:

gluster-devel at gluster.org,
> Cc: li.yi79 at zte.com.cn, Liu.Jianjun3 at zte.com.cn,
> yang.bin18 at zte.com.cn, zhou.shigang37 at zte.com.cn
> Date: 2016/01/28 21:40
> Subject: Re: 答复: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster AFR volume write
> performance has been seriously affected by GLUSTERFS_WRITE_IS_APPEND
> in afr_writev
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com> 写于 2016/01/25 17:48:06:
>
> > From: Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com>
> > To: li.ping288 at zte.com.cn,
> > Cc: li.yi79 at zte.com.cn, zhou.shigang37 at zte.com.cn,
> > Liu.Jianjun3 at zte.com.cn, yang.bin18 at zte.com.cn
> > Date: 2016/01/25 17:48
> > Subject: Re: 答复: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster AFR volume write
> > performance has been seriously affected by GLUSTERFS_WRITE_IS_APPEND
> > in afr_writev
> >

> > On 01/25/2016 03:09 PM, li.ping288 at zte.com.cn wrote:
> > Hi Pranith,
> >
> > I'd be willing to have a chance to do my contribution to open-source.
> > It's my first time to deliver a patch for GlusterFS, hence I'm not
> > quite familiar with the code review and submitting procedures.
> >
> > I'll try to make it ASAP. By the way is there any guidelines to dothis
work?
> > http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/
> > Simplified_dev_workflow may be helpful. Feel free to ask any doubt
> > you may have.
> >
> > How do you guys use glusterfs?
> >
> > Pranith

> Thanks for your warm tips.  We currently use glusterfs to build the
> shared storage for distributed cluster nodes.
>
> Here are the solutions I pondered over these days:
>
> 1,Reverting the AFR GLUSTERFS_WRITE_IS_APPEND modifications.
> because this optimization only play a part for appending write fops,
>      but most of the time of writing it is not kind of this. Hence I
> think it is not worth to do an optimization for the low probability
> situation
>      at cost of the vast majority of AFR writing performance drop.
> 2,Revising the fixed GLUSTERFS_WRITE_IS_APPEND dictionary option in
> afr_writev in a dynamic way.  i.e. adding a new dynamic configurable
>      option "write_is_append" just as the existing "ensure-
> durability" for AFR.  It could be configured on if AFR writing
> performance is not mainly
>      concerned and off if the performance is demanded.
>
> I have been trying to find out a way in posix_writev to predict the
> appending write  in advance and then lock/unlock or not lock
> accordingly in the
> shortest and soonest, but I get no chance.

3,  Another compromising solution crossing my mind today is to let the
WRITE_IS_APPEND not
take effect for O_DIRECT option. It is already  ineffective for SYNC
writing, and also the performance for
page cache writing is not so bad (not as good as no locking of course).

I would prefer the 2th and 3th way.

Are there any other opinions?

> Anybody's other good ideas are appreciated.
>
> Ping.Li
>

> > Thanks & Best Regards.
> >
> > Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com> 写于 2016/01/23
14:01:36:

> > > From: Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com>
> > > To: li.ping288 at zte.com.cn, gluster-devel at gluster.org,
> > > Cc: li.yi79 at zte.com.cn, Liu.Jianjun3 at zte.com.cn,
> > > zhou.shigang37 at zte.com.cn, yang.bin18 at zte.com.cn
> > > Date: 2016/01/23 14:02
> > > Subject: Re: 答复: Re: [Gluster-devel] Gluster AFR volume write
> > > performance has been seriously affected by GLUSTERFS_WRITE_IS_APPEND
> > > in afr_writev
> > >

> > > On 01/22/2016 07:14 AM, li.ping288 at zte.com.cn wrote:
> > > Hi Pranith, it is appreciated for your reply.
> > >
> > > Pranith Kumar Karampuri <pkarampu at redhat.com> 写于 2016/01/20
18:51:19:

__posix_writev()

http://review.gluster.org/13285