[Gluster-devel] distributed files/directories and [cm]time updates

Joseph Fernandes josferna at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 04:35:05 UTC 2016

Addition case on ctime,

1. When we do internal operations like rebalance, tier-migration, afr-heal etc ctime time changes, this is not desirable as its a internal fop
2. For a compliance case(WORM-Retenetion), ctime change means there is something that has changes on a READ-ONLY file, which is be a point of concern.

I agree with you on the overhead of booking keep of this xattr and sync between bricks and will add to the random access of the disk.
Also there is a window where we can get inconsistent, i.e ctime has changed as a result of a normal fop and before we get to save it in the xattr brick goes down.
Well this situation can be handled with replication sync however. Just thought of bring it to notice.

~Joe