[Gluster-devel] Throttling xlator on the bricks

Richard Wareing rwareing at fb.com
Tue Jan 26 03:11:50 UTC 2016

> If there is one bucket per client and one thread per bucket, it would be
> difficult to scale as the number of clients increase. How can we do this
> better?

On this note... consider that 10's of thousands of clients are not unrealistic in production :).  Using a thread per bucket would also be....unwise..

On the idea in general, I'm just wondering if there's specific (real-world) cases where this has even been an issue where least-prio queuing hasn't been able to handle?  Or is this more of a theoretical concern?  I ask as I've not really encountered situations where I wished I could give more FOPs to SHD vs rebalance and such.

In any event, it might be worth having Shreyas detail his throttling feature (that can throttle any directory hierarchy no less) to illustrate how a simpler design can achieve similar results to these more complicated (and it follows....bug prone) approaches.

Richard