[Gluster-devel] NetBSD portability (was Re: NetBSD tests not running to completion)

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 13:56:40 UTC 2016

On 01/07/2016 08:47 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>>> I am not that big a fan of portable software development at all- more
>>> so  for system software.
>>
>> This can be discussed for server side, but for client side, making
>> glusterfs linux-only would make it a bit irrelevant. Don't you want to
>> build universal storage?
>
> Getting a bit philosophical here, so I'm splitting this off from the previous topic.
>
> As long as NFS and SMB clients can access our storage, and we have GFAPI as well, the additional value of a native (e.g. FUSE) client is actually rather small.  I personally think it's still a better way to do things on Linux where it's already well supported, but it's a bit harder to make the same argument on OSes where our dependencies are themselves in worse shape.

I was in the middle of composing a reply along pretty much the same
lines when I saw Jeff's reply land in my inbox.

We are migrating from gnfs to NFS-Ganesha for NFS; NFS-Ganesha uses
GFAPI. If Samba isn't already using a GFAPI-based VFS, it will be soon.

FUSE isn't the best answer, IMO, to the "universal storage" question.

We should really be focusing on making sure GFAPI, NFS-Ganesha, and
Samba remain portable across multiple platforms.

IMO.

--

Kaleb