[Gluster-devel] NetBSD tests not running to completion.

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Thu Jan 7 09:09:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 05:49:04PM +0530, Ravishankar N wrote:
> I re triggered NetBSD regressions for http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13041/3
> but they are being run in silent mode and are not completing. Can some one
> from the infra-team take a look? The last 22 tests in
> https://build.gluster.org/job/rackspace-netbsd7-regression-triggered/ have
> failed. Highly unlikely that something is wrong with all those patches.

I note your latest test compelted with an error in mount-nfs-auth.t:
https://build.gluster.org/job/rackspace-netbsd7-regression-triggered/13260/consoleFull

Would you have the jenkins build that did not complete s that I can have a
look at it?

Generally speaking, I have to pôint that NetBSD regression does show light
on generic bugs, we had a recent exemple with quota-nfs.t. For now there
are not other well supported platforms, but if you want glusterfs to
be really portable, removing mandatory NetBSD regression is not a good idea:
portability bugs will crop.

Even a daily or weekly regression run seems a bad idea to me. If you do not
prevent integration of patches that break NetBSD regression, that will get
in, and tests will break one by one over time. I have a first hand
experience of this situation, when I was actually trying to catch on with
NetBSD regression. Many time I reached something reliable enough to become
mandatory, and got broken by a new patch before it became actualy mandatory.

IMO, relaxing NetBSD regression requirement means the project drops the goal
of being portable.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org