[Gluster-devel] Gluster test infrastructure and current challenges

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 04:44:22 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Amye Scavarda <amye at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Raghavendra Talur <rtalur at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Gluster test infrastructure needs a bit of attention. We have committed a
>> lot of code in the last couple of years, but we have not scaled our
>> infrastructure at the same rate. Lately, the signs have become alarming and
>> it calls for attention.
>>
>> We have scheduled a hangout[1] to educate new Devs about
>> 1. Current Gluster test framework - TAP, prove, include.rc.
>> 2. Challenges
>>      a. Regression takes a lot of time to run
>>      b. We have so many non-deterministic tests
>>      c. Identifying cause  for test failure takes time
>>      d. NetBSD debugging knowledge in the community is scarce.
>>      e. DISTAF: Multinode testing is not integrated with regression yet.
>>      f. More types of tests to have: upgrade, performance, integration.
>>      g. unit tests
>>
>> Note that agenda is mainly to showcase the current challenges through a
>> medium more informative than email/irc. It is not to discuss possible
>> solutions; that should be done over email on the gluster-devel mailing list.
>>
>> Hence this hangout is scheduled keeping in view convenience of devs from
>> IST or around. We will have the session recorded for everyone to view at
>> their own convenience. Also we could do the same session for different time
>> zones.
>>

> This is for tomorrow, Feb 10th? Or am I misreading this event?
> With this short of notice, will we be able to get people to attend?
>
> Thanks!
>  -amye

Originally this was supposed to be a record and upload to youtube kind of
presentation.
We changed it to hangout thinking it could help being a realtime broadcast.

Considering it now, I feel we add no value to the event making it a hangout
if it is just a demo.
We need a hangout/irc meeting for discussion.

I will cancel the hangout for now and upload a demo somewhere with the
agenda mentioned above.(It would just explain current state)
We can discuss in community meeting today for a better date and time to
hold a meeting to discuss solutions for challenges that we mention in the
demo.

Thanks for the input Amye.

NOTE: The hangout has been cancelled. We will send invite for the
rescheduled session later.