[Gluster-devel] How to cope with spurious regression failures

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 09:45:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu at netbsd.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 07:08:03PM +0530, Raghavendra Talur wrote:
> > a. Allowing re-running to tests to make them pass leads to complacency
> with
> > how tests are written.
> > b. A test is bad if it is not deterministic and running a bad test has
> *no*
> > value. We are wasting time even if the test runs for a few seconds.
>
> I agree with your vision for the long term, but my proposal address the
> short term situation. But we could use the retry approahc to fuel your
> blacklist approach:
>
> We could immagine a system where the retry feature would cast votes on
> individual tests: each time we fail once and succeed on retry, cast
> a +1 unreliable for the test.
>
> After a few days, we will have a wall of shame for unreliable tests,
> which could either be fixed or go to the blacklist.
>
> I do not know what software to use to collect and display the results,
> though. Should we have a gerrit change for each test?

This should be the process of adding tests to bad tests list. However, I
have run out of time on this one.
If someone would like to implement go ahead. I don't see myself trying this
any soon.

> --
> Emmanuel Dreyfus
> manu at netbsd.org

Thanks for the inputs.

I have refactored run-tests.sh to use retry option.
If run-tests.sh is started with -r flag, failed tests would be run once
again and won't be considered as failed if they pass. Note: Adding -r flag
to jenkins config is not done yet.

I have also implemented a better version of blacklist which complies with
requirements from Manu on granularity of bad tests to be OS.
Here is the patch: http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13393/