[Gluster-devel] Rebalance data migration and corruption

Raghavendra Gowdappa rgowdapp at redhat.com
Sat Feb 6 13:06:58 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Raghavendra Gowdappa" <rgowdapp at redhat.com>

We can implement a "special" domain for mandatory internal locks. These locks will behave similar to posix mandatory locks in that conflicting fops (like write, read) are blocked/failed if they are done while a lock is held.

> 2. data migration will be less efficient because of an extra unlock (with
> compound lock + read) or extra lock and unlock (for non-compound fop based
> implementation) for every read it does from src.

Can we use delegations here? Rebalance process can acquire a mandatory-write-delegation (an exclusive lock with a functionality that delegation is recalled when a write operation happens). In that case rebalance process, can do something like:

1. Acquire a read delegation for entire file.
2. Migrate the entire file.
3. Remove/unlock/give-back the delegation it has acquired.

If a recall is issued from brick (when a write happens from mount), it completes the current write to dst (or throws away the read from src) to maintain atomicity. Before doing next set of (read, src) and (write, dst) tries to reacquire lock.

@Soumyak, can something like this be done with delegations?

@Pranith,
Afr does transactions for writing to its subvols. Can you suggest any optimizations here so that rebalance process can have a transaction for (read, src) and (write, dst) with minimal performance overhead?

regards,
Raghavendra.