[Gluster-devel] regarding GF_CONTENT_KEY and dht2 - perf with small files

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 12:51:35 UTC 2016

> Even with compound fops It will still require two sequential network
> operations from dht2. One to MDC and one to DC So I don't think it helps.

There are still two hops, but making it a compound op keeps the
server-to-server communication in the compounding translator (which
should already be able to handle that case) instead of having to put it
in the MDS.  It's not so much a matter of improving performance -
turning a client/server hop into server/server or server/cache should do
that - but of implementing that improvement in a clean way.