[Gluster-devel] Patches being posted by Facebook and plans thereof

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Thu Dec 22 06:01:06 UTC 2016

Hi,

You may have noticed that Facebook has started posting their patches to
the newly created release-3.8-fb branch. The patches posted can be seen
here [1].

The total possible set of patches that Facebook may post is ~300, this
number may reduce based on fixes for issues that Facebook engineers
already find in the 3.8 main branch, or things that they have already
posted earlier and are part of the 3.8 code base.

This effort is a voluntary and welcome contribution by Facebook to the
rest of the Gluster community. This is really exciting and something
we've wanted to encourage for a really long time, so we’re going to need
everyone’s help to get this underway from here.

The plan to help make the above a reality (as exchanged with Facebook
engineers) is as follows:

1) Facebook will port all their patches to the special branch
release-3.8-fb, where they have exclusive merge rights.

2) Facebook will also be porting the fixes and features into the Gluster
master branch. This is to ensure that their work is incorporated after
required due diligence around reviews, testing, etc. into master.

3) We request other members of the Gluster development community to keep
a watch on the release-3.8-fb branch and pick out patches of interest,
and help in the activity of porting these patches to master. This will
ensure quicker movement of patches to master and hence deliver the
overall value of these patches to the broader community.

Maintainers, this is your explicit invitation to come participate.

4) At some future point, master would have caught up with release-3.8-fb
branch, and hence the next LTM/STM release would have the same for
general availability.
   - The current desired target is 3.11 STM for this activity to complete

5) Also, there are some useful/big/interesting features in the patches
that may need more attention. Please participate in understanding these
in more detail as soon as you can! Helping move these to master or
extending them will help this process of merging features greatly.
   - Some such features would be: Halo, GFProxy, multi-threaded
rebalance improvements, IPv6 changes, io-stats changes, throttling

We will attempt to build some form of a tracker that lists patches in
release-3.8-fb and missing in master (or vice-versa), to enable quicker
participation by the community when attempting to choose which patch to
take a stab at.

Finally, thanks to Facebook for taking this initiative to strengthen our
community, and for hosting some of us in their Cambridge,MA office to
kick this off.

Gluster devs, our turn now to make this happen!

Regards,
Amye, Jeff, Shyam, Vijay

[1] Facebook patches against release-3.8-fb branch:
http://review.gluster.org/#/q/project:glusterfs+branch:release-3.8-fb