[Gluster-devel] static analysis updated

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Tue Dec 20 17:02:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Thank you Kaleb. Shall we start somwhere in terms of automation?
>>
>> The cppcheck results look the shortest[1]. If we can commit to fixing all of
>> them in the next 1 month, I can kick off a non-voting smoke job. We'll make
>> it
>> vote after 1 month. I guss the cli and experimental xlator (and a few more
>> xlators, please check log) owners need to confirm that this is something we
>> can
>> target to fix. And commit to keeping fixed.
>
> Before we get to automation, shouldn't we have a discussion about what
> "defects" we should filter out?  For example, we already have a problem
> with compilers spitting out warnings about unused variables in generated
> code, and then promoting those warnings to errors.  Fixing those is more
> trouble than it's worth.  Static analyzers are going to produce even
> more reports of Things That Don't Really Matter, along with a few about
> Actual Serious Problems.  It's a characteristic of the genre.  If we
> don't make any explicit decisions about priorities, it will actually
> take us longer to fix all of the null-pointer errors and array overflows
> and memory leaks as people wade through a sea of lesser defects.

Nigel,
When you automate it, if you could have a function in the script to
filter out warnings that we don't care about then it will make it
easier to get to a consensus on what to filter.

For example:

cppcheck.sh
----------------

func ignore warnings()
{
for warnings in warning1 \
                        warning2 \
                        ; do <filter>
}

This way, developers will have a way to send patches on what to filter
and if we add enough warning types into the list, we could turn voting
on after a month.

Jeff,
would that work?

Thanks,