[Gluster-devel] Status of block and object storage on gluster(integration with containers as well)

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 19:14:17 UTC 2016

hi,
         I will be sending status of this work every week. This is first
mail of this work.
We are enhancing these interfaces primarily for container storage
     - From gluster a container will be able to export a file as virtual
block and will be used as private storage for that container, and no other
container will be able to use the same virtual block as long as this
container is alive.

Work already done in this area:
      - Prasanna has been able to do the PoC using tcmu in this area and
all the efforts have been documented as blog posts:
             1) Non shared persistent storage for containers:
https://pkalever.wordpress.com/2016/06/23/gluster-solution-for-non-shared-
persistent-storage-in-docker-container/
              2) With kubernetes: https://pkalever.wordpress.
com/2016/06/29/non-shared-persistent-gluster-storage-with-kubernetes/
              3) Read-write-once persistent storage for openshift origin
using gluster: https://pkalever.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/read-write-
once-persistent-storage-for-openshift-origin-using-gluster/

       - Andy Grover provided the resize lun capability in tcmu so that the
persistent storage can be expanded.

Work to be done in the coming weeks:
       - I will be sending initial cut of the design for snapshotting the
private storage by doing file snapshots in gluster.
       - I will be sending out initial cut of the subdirectory mounts
feature with tenant based access this week.
       - Prasanna and I are working on limiting access of one private
storage by only one container. One way we thought of is to do internal
locking on the file so that other accesses will get errors. But we are
still looking to find other solutions.

Object storage for containers:
        Gluster already has swift integration using gluster-swift. We are
leveraging this work to provide object storage for containers using gluster.

Work done till now:
       - Prashant Pai worked on making swift3 middleware compatible with
swauth
       - Document how S3 access can be done using gluster @
http://review.gluster.org/#/c/13729/

Work to be done in the coming weeks:
        - gluster-swift integration with gluster management for 3.9
        - Prashant is looking to containerize swift process
--
Pranith