[Gluster-devel] Events API new Port requirement

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Aug 28 08:43:07 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 02:02:43PM -0700, Joe Julian wrote:
> On 08/27/2016 12:15 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 08:52:11PM +0530, Aravinda wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > As part of Client events support, glustereventsd needs to be configured to
> > > use a port. Following ports are already used by Gluster components.
> > > 24007          For glusterd
> > > 24008          For glusterd RDMA port management
> > > 38465          Gluster NFS service
> > > 38466          Gluster NFS service
> > > 38467          Gluster NFS service
> > > 38468          Gluster NFS service
> > > 38469          Gluster NFS service
> > > 49152-49664    512 ports for bricks
> > >
> > > If I remember correctly, 24009+ ports were used by old GlusterFS(<3.4). In
> > > the patch eventsd is using 24005. Please suggest which port glustereventsd
> > > can use?(Can we use 24009 port)
> > > http://review.gluster.org/15189
> > I guess you can use 24009, but it would be way better to either:
> >
> > a. use glusterd-portmapper and get a dynamic port 49152+
> Strongly disagree. It's enough that we have to poke dynamic holes in
> firewalls already (sure it's easy with firewalld, but with hardware
> firewalls or openstack security groups we just have to open a huge hole),
> adding one that we also need to use as a service endpoint is too much.

Heh, yes, of course. I also think it needs quite some work in
glustereventsd to be able to use it, and then the clients need to
request the port from glusterd before they can consume events. It is the
way how other gluster clients work atm.

> > b. register a port at IANA, see /etc/services
> >     (maybe we should try to register the 24007+24008 ports in any case)
> +100

This definitely has my preference too. I've always wanted to try to
register port 24007/8, and maybe the time has come to look into it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion!
Niels