[Gluster-devel] CFP for Gluster Developer Summit

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Sat Aug 20 11:43:21 UTC 2016

Proposals:
1) Design of glfstrace tool

What happens in a File operation has been a bit difficult to figure out
looking at the workload, so we need a tool similar to strace which shows
the fops that are being wound/unwound though the clients and servers. We
can use the eventing infra by Aravinda to get this information from both
clients and servers which would help in debugging.

May even show a demo if I find time to implement this :-).

2) Reducing negative lookups using hash of the files/bloom filters/cuckoo
filters

Poornima and I were discussing about how to reduce the number of lookups
that need to fail with ENOENT before a create/mknod/mkdir etc fops need to
come. We see that almost 40% of the workload was negative lookups for
small-file create workload. What we came up with is a translator which
starts tracking creation of files in a directory as soon as a directory is
created using that mount. For each creation inside this new directory it
marks the file name as used using hashtable or a filter(bloom/cuckoo). Now
if a lookup on a name that was never created in that directory comes, we
can give ENOENT directly from the client without doing a lookup on the
cluster. We will discuss how we will be using leases to make sure this
solution is accurate. We would also like to present/seek inputs about how
to extend it in future.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Gluster Developer Summit 2016 is fast approaching [1] on us. We are
> looking to have talks and discussions related to the following themes in
> the summit:
>
> 1. Gluster.Next - focusing on features shaping the future of Gluster
>
> 2. Experience - Description of real world experience and feedback from:
>                    a> Devops and Users deploying Gluster in production
>                    b> Developers integrating Gluster with other ecosystems
>
> 3. Use cases  - focusing on key use cases that drive Gluster.today and
> Gluster.Next
>
> 4. Stability & Performance - focusing on current improvements to reduce
> our technical debt backlog
>
> 5. Process & infrastructure  - focusing on improving current workflow,
> infrastructure to make life easier for all of us!
>
> If you have a talk/discussion proposal that can be part of these themes,
> please send out your proposal(s) by replying to this thread. Please clearly
> mention the theme for which your proposal is relevant when you do so. We
> will be ending the CFP by 12 midnight PDT on August 31st, 2016.
>
> If you have other topics that do not fit in the themes listed, please feel
> free to propose and we might be able to accommodate some of them as
> lightening talks or something similar.
>
> Please do reach out to me or Amye if you have any questions.
>
> Thanks!
> Vijay
>
> [1] https://www.gluster.org/events/summit2016/

Pranith