[Gluster-devel] [Geo-rep] file in source volume do not cost capacity, but after geo-replication file in target volume does.

Wei-Ming Lin gallardolin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 12:05:01 UTC 2016

HI ALL,

I create a geo-rep between two volumes, detail as follow:

SRC volume info:

Volume Name: ivan
Type: Disperse
Volume ID: 6c4a1a7c-0516-47c4-a298-dabf00dd268c
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: giting4:/export/ivan1
Brick2: giting5:/export/ivan1
Brick3: giting6:/export/ivan1
Options Reconfigured:
changelog.changelog: on
geo-replication.ignore-pid-check: on
geo-replication.indexing: on
performance.readdir-ahead: on

TAR volume info:

Volume Name: tar
Type: Disperse
Volume ID: e5147094-bd19-4b41-ae12-f6b84a89a18b
Number of Bricks: 1 x (2 + 1) = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: giting1:/export/ec1/fs
Brick2: giting2:/export/ec1/fs
Brick3: giting3:/export/ec1/fs
Options Reconfigured:
performance.readdir-ahead: on
cluster.enable-shared-storage: enable

RR status:
[root at giting4 ivan]# gluster volume geo-replication ivan giting1::tar status

MASTER NODE    MASTER VOL    MASTER BRICK     SLAVE USER    SLAVE
SLAVE NODE    STATUS     CRAWL STATUS       LAST_SYNCED
giting4        ivan          /export/ivan1    root          giting1::tar
 giting3       Active     Changelog Crawl    2016-08-09 01:14:11
giting6        ivan          /export/ivan1    root          giting1::tar
 giting1       Passive    N/A                N/A
giting5        ivan          /export/ivan1    root          giting1::tar
 giting2       Passive    N/A                N/A

and when I use cmd :

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/ivan/10G_seek_file bs=1M count=0 seek=10240

to generate a empty file with 10G size at mount point of ivan (source
volume),

because "count=0", this file will not cost real capacity,

# du 10G_seek_file -h will get :

8.0K    10G_seek_file

and I also expect that target volume will have 10G_seek_file that do not
cost capacity.

but when I check mount point of tar (target volume),

geo-replication happened,

but 10G_seek_file in target volume does cost capacity.

# du 10G_seek_file -h will get :

10G  10G_seek_file.

I know that geo-rep in gluster using rsync,

so I using rsync to test the same geo-rep,

found that if I do rsync  with "-S" option,

file in target volume will not cost capacity as source volume.

So, is this a bug?

or is there any configure in gluster can handle this?

thanks.