[Gluster-devel] How to enable ACL support in Glusterfs volume

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Apr 28 10:43:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 12:05:37PM +0530, ABHISHEK PALIWAL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have one more query:
>
> I am using machine with ip 10.32.0.48 where gluster is running and mounted
> my gluster volume as follows
>
> mount -t glusterfs -o acl 10.32.0.48:/c_glusterfs /mnt/c
>
> and after that I mounted /mnt/c volume to /tmp/l on same machin 10.32.0.48
>
> mount -t nfs -o acl,vers=3 10.32.0.48:/mnt/c /tmp/l
>
> When I run setfacl command on /tmp/l (mounted as nfs) volume its not
> working
> # setfacl -m u:application:r /tmp/l/usr
> setfacl: /tmp/l/usr: Operation not supported
>
> but when I run setfacl command on /mnt/c(mounted as glusterfs) it is
> working
> # setfacl -m u:application:r /mnt/c
>
> Could you please tell me the reason for this.

Note that NFSv3 ACLs are not part of the NFS protocol itself. It is
handled by a side-band protocol. If all ACL operations on any NFS server
fail, make sure to check that the ports for NFSv3 ACLs are open. You can
chech that with 'rpcinfo -p $NFS_SERVER'.

Gluster/NFS should have ACLs enabled by default. It is possible to
disable support for ACLs in Gluster/NFS with the 'nfs.acl' volume
option, just make sure that the option is not set, or is set to 'true'.

HTH,
Niels