[Gluster-devel] [Nfs-ganesha-devel] pNFS server for FreeBSD using GlusterFS

Frank Filz ffilzlnx at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 25 16:00:19 UTC 2016

> > > I don't believe that ganesha will be ported to FreeBSD any time
> > > soon. If it
> >
> > I believe the support is already there. CCing ganesha list to confirm
> > the same.
> >
> Well, here is a snippet from the v2.1 release notes. It mentions FreeBSD
> support that is being removed. Later versions (the current is v2.3) have
no
> mention of FreeBSD, so I assume they dropped it as planned. (Maybe I
> should have said "won't be ported again any time soon" instead of "will be
> ported ...any time soon".):
>
>   The primary platform for NFS-Ganesha is Linux. Any kernel later than
2.6.39
> is required to fully support the VFS FSAL. This requirement does not apply
>   configurations using other FSALs. We have not recently tested with
kernels
> older than 3.8 but that should not be a problem for users with currently
> supported
>   Linux distributions.
>
>   There are build time options and source code in the codebase that would
> indicate FreeBSD support. However, the server takes advantage of some
>   advanced capabilities of the threads model in Linux kernels that are not
> available on FreeBSD. FreeBSD support will probably be dropped
>   as of V2.2 because there is no current active development of equivalents
> for FreeBSD.

During the 2.4 development cycle, there has been some attention to FreeBSD
Ganesha. It isn't totally a dead fish, though the primary driver of FreeBSD
Ganesha has dropped out of the project. There were some other FreeBSD folks
poking at Ganesha.

There is an issue of how best to handle per-operation credentials that is
solved on Linux with it's capability to have per-thread fsuid/fsgid, but if
you are interested in FSAL_GLUSTER, I'm not sure that's a big concern.

In reality, I doubt FSAL_VFS will ever be a 100% correct on any platform,
there are just places where it can be a little closer on one platform or the
other, but Ganesha's strength lies in interfacing to non-kernel filesystems.

Frank

---