[Gluster-devel] Adding fsnotify support to FUSE and Gluster

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Sun Apr 24 12:44:20 UTC 2016

One of the features that local filesystems have, and we would like to
see in Gluster at one point too, is fsnotify. This allows applications
to request a WATCH on an inode, and get events reported back. We have
discussed this a little in relation with our upcall framework before,
and now it gets time to really think about it in more detail.

Stef Bon (on CC) proposed an interface for FUSE so that any filesystem
using FUSE can support fsnotify. Stef is looking for comments and is
interested in the feedback we can give him. Please have a read through
his email and design:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.cifs/11847
  https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/wiki/Fsnotify-and-FUSE

Send feedback to Stef, with at least the gluster-devel and
fuse-devel at lists.sourceforge.net lists on CC.

Thanks,
Niels