[Gluster-devel] Renaming Heketi CLI

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 02:20:10 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 12:36 AM, Luis Pabon wrote:
> Hi all,
>    As you may know, Heketi (https://github.com/heketi/heketi) is a service that allows volumes to be created on demand from any number of GlusterFS clusters.  The program heketi-cli was at first created as a sample application for developers, but now that we will be working on it to be used by users, I am not sure if the name is appropriate, and is probably confusing.  My question is, should the program still be called "heketi-cli"?.  I am thinking it should be called something along the lines of GlusterFS-family-like program:
>
> Here are some names for the cli:
>
> $ glfs-heketi volume create ...
>
> or
>
> $ glfs volume create ...
>
> or
>
> $ glusterfs-cloud volume create ...
>
> or
>
> $ gfsc volume create ...
>
> or
>
> $ gfscloud volume create ...
>
> What do you think?

Should we drop volume and replace it with something more abstract like
'storage-pool' or 'share'? That way we will have the flexibility to map
heketi volumes to appropriate entities in gluster
(volumes/directories/files) without causing confusion.

If we use one such term, we could have it extend gluster CLI as:

#gluster storage-pool create foo 10TB

Users could find this scheme more intuitive because of familiarity with
gluster CLI.

-Vijay