[Gluster-devel] Gluster Brick Offline after reboot!!

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 08:52:39 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 01:04 PM, ABHISHEK PALIWAL wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We are using Gluster 3.7.6 and facing one problem in which brick is not
> comming online after restart the board.
>
> To understand our setup, please look the following steps:
> 1. We have two boards A and B on which Gluster volume is running in
> replicated mode having one brick on each board.
> 2. Gluster mount point is present on the Board A which is sharable
> between number of processes.
> 3. Till now our volume is in sync and everthing is working fine.
> 4. Now we have test case in which we'll stop the glusterd, reboot the
> Board B and when this board comes up, starts the glusterd again on it.
> 5. We repeated Steps 4 multiple times to check the reliability of system.
> 6. After the Step 4, sometimes system comes in working state (i.e. in
> sync) but sometime we faces that brick of Board B is present in
>     “gluster volume status” command but not be online even waiting for
> more than a minute.
As I mentioned in another email thread until and unless the log shows
the evidence that there was a reboot nothing can be concluded. The last
log what you shared with us few days back didn't give any indication
that brick process wasn't running.
> 7. When the Step 4 is executing at the same time on Board A some
> processes are started accessing the files from the Gluster mount point.
>
> As a solution to make this brick online, we found some existing issues
> in gluster mailing list giving suggestion to use “gluster volume start
> <vol_name> force” to make the brick 'offline' to 'online'.
>
> If we use “gluster volume start <vol_name> force” command. It will kill
> the existing volume process and started the new process then what will
> happen if other processes are accessing the same volume at the time when
> volume process is killed by this command internally. Will it impact any
> failure on these processes?
This is not true, volume start force will start the brick processes only
if they are not running. Running brick processes will not be interrupted.