[Gluster-devel] Roadmap for afr, ec

Dan Lambright dlambrig at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 15:58:18 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Reed solomon error correction is a general purpose coding technique. Its used with scratched compact disks, noisy WANs, as well as erasure encoding.

The way I read it, Rabin's IDA (information dispersal algorithm) describes a process for coding files over networks (distributed systems), but I do not think it mandates a particular coding algorithm. So you can plug in Tornado codes, XOR Cauchy codes, etc. into the scheme.

So my interpretation would be Xavi implemented nonsystematic IDA using Reed Solomon encoding, and we would like to change the implementation to be systematic with plug-in algorithms.

My interpretation.. I make no claims to be an expert.