[Gluster-devel] Managing etcd (4.0)

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 10 12:51:49 UTC 2015

> I've a follow up question here. Could you elaborate the difference
> between *use* & *join*?

Venky's interpretation was the same as what I had intended.  "Join" means
that the new node becomes both a server and client for the existing etcd
cluster.  "Use" means that it becomes a client only, relinquishing its
role as a server for its own (one-node) cluster.

> consul/etcd documentation says that the ideal configuration is to have
> 3-5 servers to form the cluster. The way I was thinking about it is
> during peer probe we would check whether cluster has already gotten the
> enough number of servers to form the cluster, if not then consider the
> other end to join as a etcd server otherwise act as a client. Thoughts?

We could do this automatically.  Good idea.  The one caveat is that,
without topology information, we can't really do a good job ourselves of
ensuring that the etcd servers are properly spread across racks (or
switches or power supplies).  Maybe the option should be join/use/auto,
with "auto" as the default but with potential for a user override.