[Gluster-devel] Gluster Sharding and Geo-replication

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 07:12:18 UTC 2015

Geo-replication and Sharding Team today discussed about the approach
to make Sharding aware Geo-replication. Details are as below

Participants: Aravinda, Kotresh, Krutika, Rahul Hinduja, Vijay Bellur

- Both Master and Slave Volumes should be Sharded Volumes with same
   configurations.
- In Changelog record changes related to Sharded files also. Just like
   any regular files.
- Sharding should allow Geo-rep to list/read/write Sharding internal
   Xattrs if Client PID is gsyncd(-1)
- Sharding should allow read/write of Sharded files(that is in .shards
   directory) if Client PID is GSYNCD
- Sharding should return actual file instead of returning the
   aggregated content when the Main file is requested(Client PID
   GSYNCD)

For example, a file f1 is created with GFID G1.

When the file grows it gets sharded into chunks(say 5 chunks).

     f1   G1
     .shards/G1.1   G2
     .shards/G1.2   G3
     .shards/G1.3   G4
     .shards/G1.4   G5

In Changelog, this is recorded as 5 different files as below

     CREATE G1 f1
     DATA G1
     META G1
     CREATE G2 PGS/G1.1
     DATA G2
     META G1
     CREATE G3 PGS/G1.2
     DATA G3
     META G1
     CREATE G4 PGS/G1.3
     DATA G4
     META G1
     CREATE G5 PGS/G1.4
     DATA G5
     META G1

Where PGS is GFID of .shards directory.

Geo-rep will create these files independently in Slave Volume and
syncs Xattrs of G1. Data can be read only when all the chunks are
synced to Slave Volume. Data can be read partially if main/first file
and some of the chunks synced to Slave.

Please add if I missed anything. C & S Welcome.

regards
Aravinda