[Gluster-devel] Troubleshooting and Diagnostic tools for Gluster

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 08:15:39 UTC 2015

regards
Aravinda

On 10/24/2015 07:01 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Aravinda <avishwan at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Initial idea for Tools Framework:
>> ---------------------------------
>> A Shell/Python script which looks for the tool in plugins sub directory, if
>> exists pass all the arguments and call that script.
>>
>> `glustertool help` triggers a python Script plugins/help.py which reads
>> plugins.yml file to get the list of tools and help messages associated
>> with it.
>>
>> No restrictions on the choice of programming language to create
>> tool. It can be bash, Python, Go, Rust, awk, sed etc.
>>
>> Challenges:
>> - Each plugin may have different dependencies, installing all tools
>> may install all the dependencies.
>> - Multiple programming languages, may be difficult to maintain/build.
>> - Maintenance of Third party tools.
>> - Creating Plugins registry to discover tools created by other developers.
> Diagnostics and remediation become important when a higher level
> abstraction (eg. a management construct for Gluster deployments are
> involved). What your thoughts on such frameworks being able to consume
> the logs; identify the possible issues and recommend a fix/solution?
> Does this proposal anticipate such a progression?
"georep_log_analize" from tools ideas list shows the possibility of
analyzing the log file and showing summary and possible issues. Since we
can consume descriptions from message ids it should be possible to
provide fix/solution based on logs. I think each feature
owners/developers are good candidate for creating tools to analyze the
logs. To start with, we are planning to improve logging in
Geo-replication and creating tools to analyze the Geo-rep log files.

https://public.pad.fsfe.org/p/gluster-tools