[Gluster-devel] Troubleshooting and Diagnostic tools for Gluster

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 07:57:40 UTC 2015

regards
Aravinda

On 10/23/2015 11:42 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On Friday 23 October 2015 04:16 PM, Aravinda wrote:
>> Hi Gluster developers,
>>
>> In this mail I am proposing troubleshooting documentation and
>> Gluster Tools infrastructure.
>>
>> Tool to search in documentation
>> ===============================
>> We recently added message Ids to each error messages in Gluster. Some
>> of the error messages are self explanatory. But some error messages
>> requires manual intervention to fix the issue. How about identifying
>> the error messages which requires more explanation and creating
>> documentation for the same. Even though the information about some
>> errors available in documentation, it is very difficult to search and
>> relate to the error message. It will be very useful if we create a
>> tool which looks for documentation and tells us exactly what to do.
>>
>> For example,(Illustrativepurpose only)
>> glusterdoc --explain GEOREP0003
>>
>>      SSH configuration issue. This error is seen when Pem keys from all
>>      master nodes are not distributed properly to Slave
>>      nodes. Use Geo-replication create command with force option to
>>      redistribute the keys. If issue stillpersists, look for any errors
>>      while running hook scripts inGlusterd log file.
>>

>> Note: Inspired from rustc --explain command
>> https://twitter.com/jaredforsyth/status/626960244707606528
>>
>> If we don't know the message id, we can still search from the
>> available documentation like,
>>
>>      glusterdoc --search <SEARCH_KEY_WORD>
>>
>> These commands can be programmatically consumed, for example
>> `--json` will return the output in JSON format. This enables UI
>> developers to automatically show help messages when they display
>> errors.
>>
>> Gluster Tools infrastructure
>> ============================
>> Are our Gluster log files sufficient for root causing the issues? Is
>> that error caused due to miss configuration? Geo-replication status is
>> showing faulty. Where to find the reason for Faulty?
>>
>> Sac(surs AT redhat.com) mentioned that heis working on gdeploy and many
>> developers
>> are using their owntools. How about providing common infrastructure(say
>> gtool/glustertool) to host all these tools.
>>

> Would this be a repository with individual tools being git submodules
> or something similar? Is there also a plan to bundle the set of tools
> into a binary package?
git submodules is nice idea.
Other possible option is storing meta file in our repository pointing to
respective repositories.

{
     "name": "clparser",
     "path": "http://github.com/aravindavk/clparser",
     "lang": "python",
     "bin": "main.py"
}

And provide a tool to get/install the tool, glustertool get clparser,
which will download the source and copies it to plugins directory.

Yet to plan for Rpm/Deb packages, gluster-tools-core,
gluster-tools-extra, gluster-tools-georep etc