[Gluster-devel] Questions about Gnotify

Venky Shankar vshankar at redhat.com
Mon Oct 26 03:36:10 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 2:19 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (gluster)
<gluster at nedharvey.com> wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, it looks like Gnotify was released in glusterfs 3.7.
>

> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Gnotify
>
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Planning37
>

> Is this considered stable now?

A form of it was implemented during bitrot detection development
phase, but the framework never got it's name although it's pretty
close in functionality to what's mentioned in the feature pages.

> Does it implement inotify? Should I expect things that use inotify to simply
> work? (Specifically, I have a mono application that uses FileSystemWatcher,
> which is a wrapper around inotify, should I expect it to work?) And if not,
> is there some API or something I need to tie into, with applications that we
> develop and want to use Gnotify?

It implements notification of events from the brick pov. Application
would need changes as the APIs are entirely different. Sadly, the API
documentation is not upto the mark. We can get that in place, but in
the meantime you'd need to need to figure it out via how it's used in
bitrot xlator. I can help you out in that. Ping me on IRC (overclk on
#gluster-dev).